Summer at Michigan for Undergraduate Research Training UM-SMART
2018 UM-SMART Session: June 4 – August 13. Application Deadline: January 19, 2018
Sign up to the right to create a login and complete your application.
UM-SMART is designed for undergraduates who are potentially interested in obtaining a combined MD/PhD degree leading to a career in academic medicine focused on basic research relevant to human disease. This program may help you decide if this is the right career for you, and could enhance your competitiveness when applying to MD/PhD programs.
Participants in UM-SMART can expect to:
Eligibility: To be eligible for the UM-SMART Program, an applicant must be a current undergraduate:1. Come from an educational, cultural or geographic background that is under-represented in the sciences.
2. Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances.
3. Have a physical or mental disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
AND1. Be a current undergraduate (those applying to Med/Grad School for 2018 are not eligible).
2. Completed sophomore undergraduate year by June 1, 2018.
3. Be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
4. Completed either an organic chemistry course preferably with lab or a biology course (physiology, biology, biochemistry) preferably with lab.
5. Have completed 150 hours of experience in a research lab (this is in addition to a course with a lab) by June 1, 2018
6. Submit at least two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a research mentor or the instructor of a laboratory course. Maximum 3 letters allowed.
7. Maintain a 3.2 grade point average.
8. Show proof of health insurance coverage.
Applicants selected as finalists for the UM-SMART Program will be contacted to participate in a phone interview.